Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Nature Walk!



The weather was SO beautiful today that we couldn't help but get out in it. So after a fun few hours walking around Northpark with Andrea and Ella, Howie and I decided that Avery was due for her first "Nature Walk." Just to clarify... we've taken Avery for walks before, of course, but the "Austin" is coming out in me and this one was more centered around introducing Avery to nature; Leaves... trees... grass... bark... etc.

For some reason, this walk was a little nostalgic for me. I'm not sure if everyone has stories like these, or if it's just me, but my Dad LOVED to get my Mom, sister and I outdoors to explore nature. My most vivid childhood memories take me back to warm sunny afternoons spent walking trails at Zilker Park in Austin and feeding ducks with the leftover sandwich bread we kept for such an occasion. I could write forever just about the sights, sounds and smells I remember from those times... and now I appreciate even more the amount of effort my parents poured into making sure I learned from and absorbed my environment at the earliest age possible. So with all that said, it was an especially touching "circle of life" moment to take my baby girl out into nature and put her tiny hands up to plants and textures she's never experienced before just like my parents did with me. Her sweet giggles and gazes upwards to watch tree canopies swaying in the breeze were more of a treat for ME than anything.

It was obvious that she enjoyed her outside time! ...Maybe we have a 3rd generation Landscape Architect on out hands!... :)







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph!
I loved the blog spot about Avery's nature walk - but that's not unusual - I love all of the blog updates. Who knew that those fundamentally insignificant outings, years ago, would result in lasting memories? The timing was really a coincidence because earlier the same day I saw a young mom taking a walk with a stroller, and as I passed by, she lifted a little boy out of the stroller and carried him over to a Bradford Pear tree and held him up to the white blossoms that covered the tree. I thought, "Stephanie needs to do that with Avery." When I got home that evening, I saw that you had read my mind! Good Mom! While looking at the darling pictures, it struck me that the walk was actually more than just an introduction to nature...it was an introduction to the Creator Himself...and a 5 month old observed...in awe! Avery won't remember this walk, but you have the pictures to show her one on the first times that she and God made each other happy!

I love you!

Dad

The Mitchells said...

Okay, I teared up at the blog post...they overflowed as I read Mr. Ellison's comment. I love soft-hearted dads!!