Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Avery getting crafty...

Lately, I've been encouraging Avery to do at least one craft project each day of the week. It really turns out to only be on Monday, Wednesday and Friday since she's at Mother's Day Out on Tuesdays and Thursdays and comes home with her own crafts those days... but it's been fun so far!

I'm no expert, but from what I've observed so far it seems that the trick to projects for 22-month-olds is SIMPLICITY! Last Friday we made a "treasure chest" out of stickers and an empty kleenex box that I turned inside-out because the lining was silver. Yesterday's project was a "macaroni maraca" shaker made from an empty crystal light cylinder and macaroni, of course. I had her use finger paints to decorate paper that I had initially planned to use to wrap around the cylinder, but the pictures she made turned out so cute that I might just keep them the way they are and frame them gallery-style in the breakfast nook or something.

...So, with as much fun as I'M having, crafty MWF may be more for me than Avery! :) But it sure breaks up our afternoon nicely and provides us with lots of laughs and new "toys."

As long as Julia's afternoon naps hold out, Avery and I will keep up our craft projects! :) Here are a few pictures and some videos...

4 comments:

Amanda said...

you are such a good (and brave) momma to allow the paint in your house...we do a LOT of chalk, crayons, playdough etc...but no markers or paint, much to Cadence's dismay!! ;-) She gets to do those things at preschool...not at my house! She is a MESSY little girl though...Avery seems much more refined than my sweet Cadence!! hahah!!

Randy and Lindsay Key said...

So adorable! I think she's already a better artist that I am! How on earth did you come up with that idea for the paintbrush... too clever!

Poage Perspective said...

Steph,
Awesome! I agree the crafts are more fun for me than IP sometimes. I love being crafty and making a mess.

Amanda,
The new Crayola paints and markers are washable and I haven't had any bad experiences yet. Give it a try! My boy is the King of Messy.

shalonda said...

hmmmm, i think we will be making maccaroni necklaces next week when daddy has to go back to work and these two girls finally our number me, eeek! thanks for the idea hun