I'm not a phone person.
Never have been, really. I enjoy the occasional chat on the phone every now and then, but I am SO thankful that I'm of the e-mail generation because if it weren't for the internet I don't think I'd have any friends due to the fact that I seldom talk on the phone. In the rare case that my hands are actually free when our home phone rings, our phones are cordless and are hardly ever charged. I always answer my cell phone if I am aware of the fact that it's ringing. :/ One pathetic truth about me is that I very rarely return calls because for some unknown reason I just don't like to talk on the phone. (As I type this, I realize how blessed I am to have friends who forgive me for this and allow me to continue calling them my "friends" in spite of my terrible phone behavior!) :)
With that said, I can't even describe how frequently our home phone rings right now with everyone calling to campaign. It's about a call a minute... or so it feels. I'm SO ready to hop in a time machine and take my family back to a simpler time before Alexander Graham Bell decided to get crafty with sound experiments and change communication forever.
I'm blogging this to put out "feelers" and see if everyone is dealing with heavier phone traffic right now, or if we're just lucky. (?)
Few things are more frustrating than a ringing home phone in 3 out of 5 rooms in the house just after getting both kiddos down for a nap or down for the night. Everything hangs in the balance and for about 8 seconds I stand perfectly still, holding my breath, cringing and hoping that I don't hear anyone waking up. And then, at the first sound of rustling, I crumble... and usually let out a huge, "UUUGH!!!" that goes along with my, "Poor me" attitude as I mentally wave goodbye to my visions of a few moments to myself. That I might actually get to grab a bite to eat, or check my e-mail, use the restroom or put clothes on for the day... or if I'm REALLY lucky I might get to shower!! ...Many Moms reading this right now know JUST the feeling I'm describing... It truly is one of the only things that makes me want to cry like a baby. What's worse is when this "wake-up call" comes from an automated voice encouraging me to "Vote for ___ and do it early!"
Sigh... Only 1 more week, right?
I may take my home phone off the hook until then. You've all been warned. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
that's why we got rid of our home phone and just use our cell phones...no more telemarketers! And yes, we all love you despite your lack of phone talking. :)
Every phone call and every message seems to be election related and I am tired of it also! I too need to remember that it is only 1 more week!
haha! just about only telemarketers call our home phone. but we have to have it, because i have to have a fax for work. our phone has a "do not disturb" feature which turns off the ringer. it's almost ALWAYS off, especially when J is asleep. i love it!
and i get you -- i'm not a phone talker, either.
sweet friend you are not alone. actually we got rid of our home phone last week. wow freedom.
https://www.donotcall.gov/
When I had a home phone that is what we registered with. It did help! :)
so funny! i do understand your feelings during naps. when i drop something - it's those few seconds after..listening..PRAYING that ek doesn't wake up. thank goodness for sound machines, right? oh..and as far as the phone goes - no one even knows our home phone - we are a cell phone only fam - and our home phone is for our alarm system and is kept on silent :0
We love you Steph.. you and your voicemail! ;) Also, you are not alone. I have finally unplugged all phones, minus the one in the kitchen. Like you, I would and still cringe when the phone rings... so now the only ringing phone is the farthest from the kiddo's room... whew! Happy voting! :)
Brian finally bought me a phone for the house that came with a do not disturb button on it for when Evan is napping. They have them at costco. BTW: The family picture on your blog is amazing.
Hope all is well for you 4.
Chalk me up as another non-phone talker! I am very blessed that my friends bear with my bad phone behavior too!
Post a Comment