Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Bye-Bye Bumpers...

My Mom sewed this beautiful bed set for our sweet Jules and I realized today that I never posted pictures of the complete look. (The bumpers weren't finished when I posted pictures of her nursery before her arrival.)

Mom LABORED over these precious pads on the sides of the crib that were once thought to protect baby from bumping into the rails in the cycle of sleep. But over the years, as you probably know, "bumpers" have become thought of as more of an enemy than a "protector." This school of thought wasn't so prevalent when I was pregnant with Avery, so naturally when my pregnancy with Julia came along (**COUGH** just 9 short months after birthing Avery) I didn't think anything about planning a bed set complete with bumpers! My Mom was game for all that sewing, so it was a "go!"

Last night Collin directed my attention to an interesting article, and after reading through it I decided it was truly the wisest thing to go ahead and remove the bumpers. (I only had the back 3 still attached anyhow...) But before I dismembered my Mom's handiwork, I thought I needed to do a little photo shoot so Julia would know what her nursery looked like! :) We had fun, but I've GOT to get a new camera! These grainy shots are driving me crazy...



I hope she sleeps alright tonight without her bumpers! She napped without them today and woke up SCREAMING. I went in to find her caught with a leg and an arm sticking through the crib and her belly and face pressed up against the slats!... She never did that with the bumpers ON. :/ Sigh...

6 comments:

The Gustafsons said...

We aren't going to use bumpers either, because everyone says they are just too much of a risk. BUT, I am worried that she will get her little arms and legs stuck in there, like Julia. You can't win either way, I guess...

Poage Perspective said...

I'm so sorry I didn't pass this info to you earlier. Just before taking IP home, the hospital instructed me to remove the crib bumpers. I think Jules is past the SIDS danger. Now you have to worry about her getting tangled in them or standing on them to jump out of the crib.

Randy and Lindsay Key said...

I have no comments to add on the bumper topic, but I do think it's perfect that her outfit matches the bedding! You're too cute!

Anonymous said...

I think anything can happen at any time! You are smart to remove them. Nathan's are still in his bed and we still find him sleeping with body parts hanging out!

Scott Rogers said...

Hey Stephanie,

I decided this time around to not use bumpers either w/ Hallie. I never even thought of anything w/ Abby and Jack but, I guess the more you hear and are aware of what could happen... for me it wasn't worth my peace of mind. Have you seen the breathable bumpers? They are not really a bumper but it's a piece of mesh fabric that goes all the way around so their legs and arms don't get caught in the slats. You can get them at babies "r" us and one step ahead(very inexpensive). Anyway, just fyi...take care,
Dori

The Bossen Family said...

I should have told you this already Steph...but Drew uses the breathable bumpers and it keeps his arms & legs in the crib. They're not cute...just white mesh that velcro's around the slats, but it works.

Or, if you don't want to do the breathable bumpers, sleep sacks worked really well for keeping Drew's legs inside the crib slats. It won't help with arms, but it will keep Julia's legs from poking through so maybe she'll be far enough away from the edge that the arms wouldn't be an issue!