Monday, December 01, 2008

Hey, Santa...


Ok, it's official... I will be asking Santa to bring this to Avery this year, and hopefully it'll be a gift to us if she ends up sleeping a little later because of it. This is the "KID'Sleep wake up display" and it's European, so it must be good... right? ;)

The idea behind it is this: Haven't you ever been traveling and staying the night in a place where you didn't have a clock by the bed to tell what time it is? You wake up, and it's dark... Is it morning? Is it 3am? Has it been 4 minutes, or 4 hours since you closed your eyes?... Who knows? You can't tell what time it is. SO disorienting. So imagine being a 2-year-old who can't yet tell time. Similar effect.

For the past two nights, (or mornings, rather...) we've been awakened at 4am by the not-so-precious sounds of our 2-year-old saying, "Mommy!... Up! Up!" And if we ignore the call, she quickly turns to, "Daaaaa-deeeee!" (Yeah, she's no dummy.) To be fair, I know that I sort of "signed-up" for the early morning wake-up calls when I saw two precious pink lines on an important take-home test, but 4 o'clock for two mornings in a row on top of the lingering night feedings I'm still giving to Jules?!? Seriously? There isn't enough Starbucks in the world.

A few weeks ago, my sister said she had seen this gadget in a magazine that's supposed to operate as a picture timer/clock for kiddos and she told me about KID'Sleep. It's not an alarm clock, and in fact makes no sound (apparently) when changing from "sleep time" to "wake time." You (the parent) set the timer and it just provides the child with the ability to tell whether it's still time to sleep, or if it's okay to wake up. And bonus-- it doubles as a night light. Honestly, it's 45 Euro (CHOKE) and I don't care if it is as high-quality as something that comes in a Happy Meal if it buys me an extra 2 hours in the morning.

So, Santa... If you're reading... On your way through Switzerland this year could ya swing by and grab one of these for my kiddo? I'd greatly appreciate it.

5 comments:

Poage Perspective said...

Bad news:
When you start potty training, you'll still be up once or twice a night. I still get up once a night with IP and he's almost 4. :(

Collin and Stephanie Poage said...

Once or twice a night, I can do... It's this schedule or 1:30, 2, 4 & 6 that is killing me. Imagine when they're BOTH still in the potty-training phase and waking me up all night. Geez Louise... Better not have a newborn again then!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I read your blog today - we may have to invest in one of those. Abby does the 4 am wake-up call, too - we had about 3 or 4 nights of it in a row about 2 weeks ago. Not fun...and we only have one kiddo :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh honey......you must be bone tired. As difficult as it is, just hang in there. This is the wonderful phase where all their problems AND yours are fixed with a washing machine and coffee. Keep enjoying the moments like you are and keep your sense of humor. I am so very proud of the mother you are!

Try to take on fewer tasks, unplug the phone. put away your computer and sleep whenever you can during the day....that is the only way to survive. :) Your friends and family will understand for this season.

This too shall pass. :) Daylight savings time is such a pill but she will adjust...just in time for it to change again.

Love you....Mom

Joni & Brian said...

http://www.goodnitelite.com/index.php

Stephanie, here is a domestic version of the sleep/wake wonder.