Sunday, August 17, 2008

Pouty Pig-tails


So I tried a new hairstyle this week. Found out a couple of things: (1) Avery is much more attached to her "bow-holding-up-the-bangs" hairstyle than I realized, and (2) she actually cares about her appearance! ...Scary... I mean, I knew that this day would inevitably come, I just didn't think it would come before her 2nd Birthday!

Usually when I do her hair for the day I let her choose which bow she wants to wear, (we have about 10 different colors) set her on-top of her dresser so we can look in the mirror, brush it all out, pull up one side, clip it with the bow and say, "Pretty!" Somewhere along the way she picked up on the word "pretty" (oops!) and began saying it before I did as I clipped the bow in. SO-- you can imagine her dismay when we did NOT choose a bow that day, but instead pulled out two little rubber bands and I began pulling her hair up into pig tails! ...the frown began... She did not like what she was seeing in the mirror and she did NOT say, "Pretty."

I should be awarded a medal of honor for not busting out laughing during the pig tail/pouty face in the mirror process. Hardest thing I've ever done. But I knew if I laughed she would probably start crying, so I just smiled really big and said (with gumption) "Pretty!!" ...she wasn't convinced, but she went along with it.

I, of course, kept the camera snapping and caught some cute moments with the girls. Her spirits lifted eventually and she forgot all about her not-so-pretty pig-tails. I guess I should mark this down as the first time we've had a Mother/Daughter disconnect on what's stylish and what's not. Sigh... girls. :)

6 comments:

The Farells said...

Oh my goodness! What a great story! I thought my little boy was the only one to give faces like that! Wow! That is a keeper of a photo! :) Great job on not laughing! She looks so cute, even when she pouts! Glad it all ended in smiles :).

Amanda said...

We live in pigtails around here! I think Avery looks PRECIOUS in them...you could always get her another set of bows to wear with pigtails! Cadence gets really mad at me if I don't put bows in her pigtails daily!
Love you!!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love those pictures - what a personality she has! Your poor husband - all she will have to do is give that face to Collin and he will be putty in her hands! I wonder what she would do if you put bows on both pig tails?

The Gustafsons said...

Oh man, we're in for it! I do think the pigtails look darling though. What a little cutie pie with a big personality!

katherine said...

love love love the pigtails! she so cute -- even pouting :)

you ought to write your own "where i'm from" poem. it was a lot of fun and i bet you'd do really well at it. i'd love the "peak" into your childhood!

shalonda said...

put TWO bows in now, one in each piggy!! she looks pretty precious pouting though, lol....